My Scooba Dooba Homeschool Day

Student Blog Challenge Week 8, Activity 1: Write about my school day.

Black Beauty

Black Beauty: drawn on my iPad using Artstudio.

I am homeschooled; my daily schedule varies depending upon the day, and the things that I am learning get changed around from time to time. For example, in January my mom changed our curriculum to one which focuses more on the basic subjects: math, reading, writing, and vocabulary. (I like it better than what we were doing before.) And now, she has added learning about blogging and using  web tools, which is cool. For science, I might watch documentaries, do an experiment, or other things. For history, sometimes I might watch a historical show or read a historical fiction book.

A typical day:

I wake up at 8:30 a.m., get out of bed, and open my windows (when it’s warm). After that, I get dressed, have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and then I walk outside to see how it feels. 

• My first subject is math, which is usually a lesson in my math book, but sometimes I might do lessons on Khan Academy, play math games, or go to the store and get quizzed by mom about percentages, fractions, and all that non-fun stuff. When I’m done with that, I take a little break and play outside.
  • Next is reading. I usually have to read some sort of classic book, but lately my mom has been letting me choose what I want to read. So, I chose the Harry Potter books.
  • After reading I have lunch, which is usually an hour long. While I’m eating, I watch an educational show, but sometimes my mom lets me pick whatever I want to watch. When I’m done eating, I’ll usually go outside to play.
  • Last but not least, I do my writing. Sometimes I have to do a writing lesson, and other times I get to do free writing. Lately, I have been working on my blog and learning how to use different web tools. Also, I do grammar while I’m correcting my writing, which is not my idea of fun.

Some days we take off early and go somewhere fun, like ice skating, going on a field trip, or going to my friend’s house who is also homeschooled.

My school day ends at three. If I get done before then, I might do a craft project, an experiment, draw, or other things, but after three I am FREE!!! Today, I didn’t get done early. My mom wanted me to finish this post, and it seemed to take forever to do 😯 .

My best friend, who lives across the street, goes to public school, and sometimes I start thinking that I might like to go too. But, I like the freedom I have being homeschooled and might miss it. I don’t always enjoy everything I’m learning; it can sometimes be hard, but my mom is always there to help me, and tries her best to make it as fun as possible.

8 thoughts on “My Scooba Dooba Homeschool Day

1. G’day Kat,
    So each day is broken into three long blocks of time with a break in between each rather like at a normal school. What do you think are the advantages of being homeschooled rather than going to school with your friend over the road?

• Hi Miss W.
      Some advantages of being homeschooled are: Being with my mom, being able to take my time doing my work. I can ask for help any time when I need it. I don’t have homework. When I read a book or watch a documentary, I get to just tell my mom about what I’ve learned instead of writing a book report about it. When I find a subject I’m interested in, I can take all the time I want learning more about it. If I ever get sick, I don’t have to do make-up work, and I can go to the bathroom whenever I want 🙂 . There are a lot of other things, but right now I have to go start lunch! AAAAAAAHHHH!!
      Talk to ya latter, 🙂
      Kat 😎

2. Hi Kat
    Well that is a bit different! Having done both myself, I’d be interested to see how you reply to Miss W’s question.
    Would you still blog if your mother didn’t make it part of your school day, and make you finish a post? (Well done, Mum!)

• Hi Mrs Bird
      What did you mean by having done both? Were you homeschooled, or did you homeschool your children? I definitely plan to keep working on my blog and posting things during the summer. My favorite part about working on my blog is making things fun, like writing silly stories, adding funny videos, and things like that. Also, I love getting comments and knowing that people like seeing my blog.

I hope you keep checking back even after the challenge is over.

Talk to you later,
      Kat 😎

3. Hello Kat
    I am from the Rvis school in Bahrain. Very good post, your drawings are good! I think being home schooled would be a very good experience for me and being in a school for you would be memorable.
    Hope you reply
    -Santiago

• Hi Santiago
      Thank you, I’m glad you liked it. Yes, going to public school might be an interesting experience, but I really like being home schooled. What is school like for you? Did you write a post about it? If you leave me a link to your blog, I will check it out.
      Kat 😎

• Hey Santiago,
      I checked out your blog. It’s pretty cool. I left a comment on one of your posts.
      Kat, 😎